THE STORY OF THE ORIGINAL
BUFFALO CHICKEN WINGS
According to current legend the original Buffalo Wing originated back in 1964 at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York.
Frank Bellissimo, owner of The Anchor Bar, placed an order with his supplier for chicken necks. The supplier instead delivered chicken wings. Not wanting to waste food or money, his wife and co-owner Teresa Bellissimo came up with an idea to cut the wings into what we now call flats and flaps and fried them to a crispy golden brown.
She then dowsed them in a concoction of hot sauce, butter, Worcestershire Sauce, and vinegar to create the first batch of Buffalo Wing Sauce.
She served them to their customers that day along with cut celery and Bleu Cheese dressing, and they were an instant success! And viola….the first Buffalo Chicken Wings were created.
Following find the original Buffalo Chicken wing recipe, and be sure to pick up your plump and juicy chicken wings and some of the best hormone-free meat, chicken and seafood in Orange County from our incredible meat counter @ El Toro Gourmet Meats!
ORIGINAL ANCHOR BAR
BUFFALO CHICKEN WINGS RECIPE
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- 8 chicken wings or 16 drumettes and wing pieces
- 4cups canola, vegetable, or peanut oil, for frying
- 2tablespoons hot sauce, such as Frank’s Red Hot or Louisiana
- 1 1/2tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon distilled vinegar
- Brown sugar, to taste
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Blue cheese dressing and celery sticks
- Heat 3” of oil in a deep pan
- While the oil is heating combine the hot sauce, butter, and vinegar in a small saucepan over low heat until the butter melts.
- Taste sauce to see if it’s to your liking, adjusting as needed.
- Wash and dry your chicken wings thoroughly in order to achieve maximum crispiness.
- Fry the wings in batches making sure not to overcrowd the frying pan, until they are golden brown and crispy. Place on a paper towel to drain, and make sure your oil is hot again before cooking the next batch.
- In a large bowl, toss the wings with the warm sauce.
- Serve with celery sticks and blue cheese dressing … and plenty of napkins.